Spring 2020 pcart training information and Interest survey
Planning is currently underway for two training events for Spring 2020.
On Saturday April 18 PCART will hold a workshop on handling large animals/livestock in disasters or other emergencies.
On Friday June 5 - Sunday June 7 we will host training on working with animals in floodwater/slackwater incidents similar to the situations we experienced across Oklahoma last May. This training will be appropriate for animal handlers, animal response volunteers and credentialed first responders.
Please note that in order to tell our instructors how many participants to plan for and to determine equipment needs, we MUST receive your initial response indicating interest (not a commitment to attend) using the form linked below by March 1. This is not a registration form for either training opportunity, but will give us an estimate of number of potential participants as well as a way to contact you with updates.
April 18, 2020 (Saturday):
Large Animal Handling Workshop
- Place: Turning Point Ranch Therapeutic Riding Center, Stillwater, OK
- Time: TBA (approximately 3 to 4 hr)
- Cost: No Charge
- Description: In the classroom we will discuss large animal/livestock behavior in disaster situations. We will discuss how to work within the local emergency management and incident command, secure a scene and request appropriate resources, and make decisions about whether we can safely become involved. In the field we will learn to safely handle horses and discuss how their behavior in an emergency may differ from what we see in the workshop.
- Instructors: The workshop is designed by Dr. Kris Hiney of Oklahoma State University. Instructors may include Dr. Hiney, Dr. Daniel Burba (OSU), other PCART members, and staff of Turning Point Ranch.
- Requirements: Participants must be either PCART volunteers or other CART/OKMRC credentialed volunteers, Turning Point (or other riding facility) trained volunteers, or credentialed first responders. Other participants will be consider if space is available.
- Please Note: If you are interested in attending or learning more, you MUST fill out the form below. This is not a registration but is required so that we can plan for numbers of horses and instructors. The email you use will be how we communicate with you when registration opens.
June 5-7, 2020: Floodwater/Slackwater Animal Rescue Training
- Date/Time: Friday morning June 5 through Sunday afternoon June 7. Participants must attend all days of training.
- Place: Day 1-2 Stillwater, OK. OSU Vet School (classroom) & Lake Carl Blackwell (field). Day 3 we will caravan to the Ponca City area to access more rapidly flowing water.
- Description & Instructors: This course is presented by ASAR Training & Response Instructors, most likely Eric Thompson and Brett Huff. Briefly, the class blends NFPA 1670 Technical Animal Rescue skills for small and companion animals with NFPA Surface Water Rescue skills and boat operations.
- Credentialing: We are applying for CEUs for DVM and RVT, CLEET, and fire and emergency services personnel. This course is compliant with National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) standards.
- Cost: TBA but PCART hopes to offer at no or very low cost to 20 to 40 participants.
- We have received a grant from The Kirkpatrick Foundation to cover the $400 tuition for this training course for up to 20 individuals, which is the minimum enrollment for the instructors. We are seeking additional funding for equipment rentals, parking, and meals, or those expenses might have to be covered by participants ($100-$300 depending on whether drysuits are required).
- If there are participants willing to pay tuition or whose employer will cover their expenses, the instructors can handle up to 40 individuals.
- Lodging will be the responsibility of participants, however we will do our best to find a discount at an area hotel.